Sunday, June 28, 2009

Where I have been...for the past three wednesdays...

Ok, now I am able to spill. I haven't told anyone what I have been doing for the past three weeks on Wednesday nights...simply because, well I didn't want people to ask what my 'final project' looked like. I didn't know if I was going to be good at it, or even if I was going to 'like it'. So here is the big reveal.....

I have been taking a Wilton cake decorating class. I am sure you all thought it was going to be a big reveal...but here it is, my final cake. Made from scratch wilton's own buttercream frosting, hand decorated and colored by yours truly. And yes, I was the ONLY one with orange roses (those are all handmade also).

If you are curious about cake decorating, take this class! I took it at Joann's in Lynnwood, for three weeks/3 hours a sesson, I decorated to my hearts content. The first class was all about frosting! Now I have my little cake 'caddy' with my tools, pipping bags, and tricks of the trade. I will plan on making wilton II, III and fondant, but I would like to practice more before I get ahead of myself. Here are more pics of my final cake (and NO they didn't grade it...thank goodness!)







Yes, that is hand piped roses that I made!

Frosting could have been a bit smoother, but I thought it looked pretty good!

5 comments:

Derek said...

That is so incredibly awesome! I've been telling Derek we need to get out more and learn new stuff. You did such a beautiful job, and it must feel so good to have a new skill under your belt!

-Kj.

Lisa said...

Great job, Sara! I remember when my mom to Wilton cake decorating classes. She ended up making my wedding cake and it was gorgeous! Good luck to you! You final reveal cake is beautiful! Will you be specializing in cupcakes? :-)

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Great job on the cake!! :) I would buy that. :)

kschei said...

Fantastic Sara! I've seen quite a few 'first' cake projects and this is one of the best I've seen! I'm so impressed. Well done.

KFord said...

Um, ok, you're amazing! Nice work! I love the "buttons" on this cake - we had them on our wedding cake too! Way to go little mama!